01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Saga Vol. 1 by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Saga Vol. 1 by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples

34

Saga Vol. 1 by Brian Vaughan, Illustrated by Fiona Staples ~Goodreads~
Published by Image Comics 2012
Paperback edition 160 pages ~Book Depository~

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous universe.

From bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan, Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults.


The plot & characters in this graphic novel are everything I could wish for in a fantasy/sci-fi series. Although the world is a little bizarre with funny looking people with sheep horns, I was immediately hooked at what was going on.

The basics is Alana and Marko having to stretch across the galaxy to escape a bounty hunter that is after their baby, Hazel who is seen as an abomination. The whole galaxy is at war and the hope for peace is unlikely, but what made this graphic novel awesome was how different the characters were. The fact Alana was this badass woman who sticks by her guns and is determined to keep Hazel safe, and there were many moments where I was fist-pumping in the air at how awesome she is.

What I loved also with the way this graphic novel was told, was the fact Hazel was the narrator throughout and the story is told on her terms of how she survives. Quite witty, and with some memorable quotes I really enjoyed the author's take on introducing this out-of-this-world story and I'm curious and excited for what happens next.

I really enjoyed the artwork, crisp, bright and the colours set the mood perfectly. I particularly liked how the ghosts were highlighted in a luminous red.

After all the hype around this novel I'm kicking myself that I've left it for so long, but boy I am so glad I picked it up in the first place because this is definitely my favourite that I've read. It's only recently that I've got stuck into graphic novels and I've come to realise how much I love reading them- Saga has definitely enhanced my love for them and I'm so excited to continue this series!!



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38