01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Golem by Lorenzo Ceccotti 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Golem by Lorenzo Ceccotti

34

Golem by Lorenzo Ceccotti ~Goodreads~
Published by Magnetic Press 2016
Paperback edition 280 pages ~Book Depository~

I was sent this graphic novel via Netgalley for an honest review- thank you to the publisher!


Set in a future, post-Eurozone Italy, entrenched in a culture of hyper-capitalism, Golem follows young Steno Critone as he is kidnapped during a political protest gone sour. Taken in by the band of labeled "terrorists," he learns that things are not as they seem in society, and that he has the power to not only change the city, but reality itself.



I was immediately intrigued by the cover and the style of the artwork, but to read that it was set in Italy in the near future interested me a lot as I find it refreshing to read a book that is set at a destination other then the UK or US- they're great but it's a nice change.

We meet the main character Steno a young boy brought up in a society of hyper-capitalism that has basically destroyed society. Politically this book was very interesting with Steno's father inventing this nanotechnology that would create everything we could possibly want without the need of money, much to the dislike of those in government. However, for me I didn't feel this graphic novel had much "umf" in terms of the writing. The world-building for me was a bit vague, and I just needed that little bit more insight into this new Italy without the plot moving too quickly for me to catch on.

The artwork however is simply stunning and I found myself numerous times just concentrating on the art provided, and I think this is what made me read on as swiftly as I did. 

Overall, Golem has a great futuristic outlook that has a lot of potential but perhaps a narrator would have given me more understanding and enjoyment to know exactly what was going on and not being confused with the swiftness of the plot. Golem is an interesting graphic novel, and I would still be interested in reading a possible continuation of Steno's story!



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38