01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: The Great Winglebury Duel by Charles Dickens \ Little Black Classics No. 37 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Great Winglebury Duel by Charles Dickens \ Little Black Classics No. 37

34

The Great Winglebury Duel by Charles Dickens ~Goodreads~
Published by Penguin Classics 1839/2015
Paperback edition 58 pages ~Book Depository~

"Two rollicking tales of scoundrels and ne er-do-wells from the Sketches by Boz that launched Dickens' career."


The first story The Great Winglebury Duel was definitely my favourite out of the two, a story about mistaken identity. I loved the humour that Dickens brought to this story which wasn't something I was expecting but it made it all the more enjoyable.

The Steam Excursion was a bit dull I have to admit and I guess I was expecting these to both be dull, and so at least I was right with this one. I couldn't get into it as much as I did with the first story, and no doubt I'll feel the same when I work my way through Dickens' notable works.

Overall, having not read any other Dickens before I'm excited to get stuck into some more Dickens and I'm glad I begun with these two short stories to give me a taster of Dickens' style of writing and witty humour.



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38