01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: The Selection by Kiera Class 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Selection by Kiera Class

34
 

The Selection by Kiera Class ~Goodreads~
Published by HarperCollins Children's 2012
Paperback edition 327 pages ~The Book Depository~  



For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realises that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

 

I have to admit, prior to reading this book I thought it was going to be cheesy and just overbearing but I really did judge this far too harshly- I enjoyed this book! It surprised me and I love surprises, it had a decent plot. A girl who doesn't want to be royalty but to spend her life with a boy she's in love with who happens to be of lower class to her, she wants the simple life...

 
I thought firstly America was a bit of a wimp and love sick puppy over Aspen and admittedly it did get on my nerves but once she had thrown herself into the world of royalty and big dresses I slowly began to like her. She's surrounded by these other thirty four girls of a similar age and there's always a couple of people in a group who no one likes and you just want them to go away, well the character Celeste meets this description and she brought out the gutsy side to America. She begins to stand on her own two feet and realises she's got competition, even if she isn't bothered about the crown herself she certainly doesn't want the likes of Celeste getting her hands on it. As with the other girls, in a competition like this I don't think any of the girls can become good friends it just doesn't seem viable. I think America is best keeping to herself rather than trusting those close to her so much, difficult because of being in a closed environment with not many people other than her handmaids to talk to.

Surrounded by those of a higher class than herself, One's being the most admired such as the royal family all the way up to Eights who are the poorer class of this society. I loved that the setting was in a far off time in America on Earth and how a monarchy is still intact (even though today America isn't a sovereign state), all of the settings were interesting and I admired how Prince Maxon begins to learn more of his country through the eyes of these girls he's courting.

I'm most definitely a team Maxon, he seems cheeky, strong willed and America will definitely keep him on his toes. They're a great pair, even if it ends up them being friends in the end they have a good bond. As far as Aspen is concerned he shot himself in the foot so therefore, goodbye and leave Maxon and America be!

As with the rebel attacks that occur a few times during the story, I'm intrigued to know more details about them. All we know is there are groups in the North and the South. I hope in the second book The Elite there is some light to this as to what's going on there. For me that's perhaps why I gave this book a three star rating, I enjoyed it but I need more juicy details so I can begin to piece it all together!

Enjoyable, fun, fast paced, intriguing book with a  kind of  girl power kind of vibe to it. Bring on The Elite!

 
 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38