01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: One of The Guys by Lisa Aldin 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

One of The Guys by Lisa Aldin

34
 

One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin ~Goodreads~
Published by Spencer Hill Press 2015
Paperback edition 320 pages ~The Book Depository


Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for sending me this book.


Tomboy to the core, Toni Valentine understands guys. She'll take horror movies, monster hunts and burping contests over manicures. So Toni is horrified when she's sent to the Winston Academy for Girls, where she has to wear a skirt and learn to be a lady while the guys move on without her.

Then Toni meets Emma, a girl at school with boy troubles, and she volunteers one of her friends as a pretend date. Word spreads of Toni's connections with boys, and she discovers that her new wealthy female classmates will pay big money for fake dates. Looking for a way to connect her old best friends with her new life at school, Toni and Emma start up Toni Valentine's Rent-A-Gent Service.

But the business meets a scandal when Toni falls for one of her friends- the same guy who happens to be the most sought-after date. With everything she's built on the line, Toni has to decide if she wants to save the business and her old life, or let go of being one of the guys for a chance at love...



 My initial thoughts of this book would be a cute, "girl who hangs with boys and ends up liking one of them" kind of vibe, which I love about YA books, they're fun, cheeky, hilarious and reflect my own memories as a young adult. Sadly this book didn't quite hit the nail on the head for me...



For me it seemed to portray a tomboyish girl Toni who basically uses her guy friends in order to run a dating business for her own benefit of earning money. Not the best way to go about earning a bit of pocket money!

I didn't really connect with Toni, I don't consider myself a "girly girl" or a tomboy but I felt her character was exaggerated a great deal with the whole burping thing- I'm certain everyone burps once in a while! She didn't seem like a nice friend to have around and everything seems to centre around her even though her friends weren't really what I would call friends, they seemed offish at times which didn't really help the characters build solid relationships.

I felt that nothing really grabbed me, I wanted this book to have more bite and sass to it! More so, it felt like I was more or less reading about their lives and not feeling part of them.

A promising plot but for me nothing that made me want to not put it down unfortunately.




Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38