01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: The Secrets of the Wild Wood by Tonke Dragt 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Secrets of the Wild Wood by Tonke Dragt

34



The Secrets of the Wild Wood by Tonke Dragt ~Goodreads~
Published by Pushkin Children's Books 2015 [originally 1963]
Hardback edition 460 pages ~The Book Depository~


Firstly I'd like to thank Hayley at ED Public Relations for sending me this beautiful book that I've thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.

If you haven't read the prequel 'The Letter For The King' then please don't read this review as it may contain spoilers, thank you.


'There's no place you can lose your way as quickly as in the Wild Wood...'

One of the King's knights has gone missing. Sent to explore the mysterious Wild Wood, which no-one dares visit and some say are enchanted, he has vanished in the snow. Tiuri-now Sir Tiuri after carrying out his last perilous mission- has to find him. With his best friend and squire, Piak, he must journey into the heart of a terrifying, secret forest realm, where danger is all around and every path leads you astray. It is a place of lost, overgrown cities and ancient curses; of robbers, princesses and strange Men in Green; of old friends and treacherous new enemies- and a secret plot that threatens to bring down the entire kingdom.



Only recently did I read the prequel, 'The Letter For The King' so I was incredibly excited when I was contacted as to whether I would like to read the sequel- quite the coincidence!

The story follows friends, Tiuri (a knight) and Piak (his squire) and their journey through the Wild Wood in search of the King's missing knight. 

As they journey through the Wild Wood they end up playing a game of chess that could result in the cost of their lives as well as others they know. Meeting strange people along the way, it's a race against time to save not only the King's knight but Dagonaut too.

I felt, like with its prequel this book had very much a Lord of The Rings vibe with Tiuri and Piak being like Frodo and Sam, on a mission together travelling miles and crossing the paths of those they'd much rather avoid but with their fun team work partnership it made the book really enjoyable throughout. I think I favoured Piak because he's so sweet and loyal!

Even though it felt a little young for me this book, I'm more than happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. More so than originally anticipated, it was fun, mysterious, adventurous, heart-thumping and a well created world by Dragt. I only wish I could have read these books when I was younger, this book is worthy of a four star rating and I can imagine me returning to re-read these books in the future! 





Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38