01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #1) 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #1)

34

Cinder by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles #1) ~Goodreads~
Published by St Martin's Press 2012
Paperback edition 387 pages ~The Book Depository~



Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the centre of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.



Why oh why did I put this book off for so long?! I'm almost ashamed of myself for being so behind with the world of the Lunar Chronicles, this book gave me everything I could wish for. Not quite the Cinderella story you would imagine but if anything it's a whole lot better!

From reading the first couple of pages I instantly knew I was going to love Cinder, she's funny, smart, hands on and caring. I got her humour and I did more often than once laugh out loud to myself, we clicked. Once I've clicked with a character then I'm adamant that the book is going to be one I'm going to treasure forever, and this story did just that.

Cinder isn't the type of character who feels sorry for herself and cries her heart out, she bites the bullet and does what has to be done even if it isn't in her favour. She's a fighter, and her kind, fierce spirit gets your blood pumping. I liked that she wasn't a pushover, and despite being a cyborg and looked down upon her human stepmother and sister she didn't let that disrupt her chances, sure it made her a little self conscious but we all have our insecurities right? If anything her cyborg talents of telling whether someone is lying to her or not was pretty neat. There's so many aspects to this cyborg lifestyle that I found original and downright awesome, except the fact of having to replace some body parts because you're growing- dammit!

Cinder doesn't remember much from her past and throughout this book her story begins to unfold and it didn't take long for me to join the dots, but in no way did this hinder the story. It made me more excited and fascinated with how the events were going to plan out.

So in spite of her being self-conscious of her cyborg appearance, the dashing Prince Kai finds a likeness to Cinder and asks a favour of repairing his android Nainsi. Prince Kai isn't your usual royal, he's got the cheeky presence and matching smile and I was pretty smitten with him straight away just like Cinder was. Cinder treats him like an equal, a huge attraction to a royal who is surrounded by servants who wait on him hand and foot, someone different to talk to must have been a fresh air to him.

A deadly plague is killing the population, a plague said to have been brought to Earth by the Lunar people of the Moon. An antidote needs to be discovered before the population of Earth is wiped out, political arrangements and a royal ball (can't be forgetting that!) is anticipated throughout the novel- very Cinderella! The only difference being Cinder's presence isn't one that will bring love and happiness but revelations to be broadcasted to the whole kingdom that could threaten the entire population of planet Earth.

Cinder for me is a retelling like no other, it's a future depiction of the famous fairytale but it really is a cracker! I couldn't put it down, every chapter caught my attention and shook up my imagination. I'm buzzing to start the second installment of this series, Scarlet. This book is truly worthy of a five star rating, so if you love fairy tales with a modern twist then this series is a must read for you! Thank you to Marissa Meyer for getting me back into reading again! :-)



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38