01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

34

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket ~Goodreads~
Published by Scholastic, Inc. 1999
Paperback edition 176 pages ~The Book Depository~


Dear Reader,

I'm sorry that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.

In this short book alone, three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot of steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket.


I haven't read these books since I was young and I completely forgot all about them until a few months ago and now that there's news of Netflix creating a series based on these books, I felt that it was about time I gave them a re-read!

I'm sure many of you have read this series many years ago and some of you may be like, "well I've heard of it but Harry Potter took over my life." Well, I think its about time you give these books a go and see what you're missing!

The Bad Beginning is a fun quick read, yes I know it's a children's book but I am a big kid! 

The three Baudelaire children are whisked away to live with a distant relative they had never met or even heard of. Unkind and untrustworthy is Count Olaf and throughout this novel he causes havoc for the children who take matters into their own hands of looking after one another, as well as keeping hold of their fortune.

Quite rightly this isn't a happy book as such because of the unfortunate events (see what I did there) that occur throughout, but there are some great funny moments that indeed do still make me laugh! Calling all kids and adults- there is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy this book. 

I can't wait to carry on with this much loved series and let it all come back to me! 



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38