01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: WoW: Fall of Man in Wilmslow by David Lagercrantz 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

WoW: Fall of Man in Wilmslow by David Lagercrantz

34

Hosted by Breaking the Spine

I am SO happy to share this book with you guys. If you don't know already I'm a big admirer of Alan Turing, if you don't know who he was then let me tel you a little bit about him!

Alan Turing was a British pioneering computer scientist and mathematician, and was most known for his work during the Second World War. At Bletchley Park he devised many techniques for breaking German ciphers by creating a machine that could find the settings to crack the Enigma machine.

Later on in his life he was convicted of homosexuality and served the punishment of taking chemical castration injections as an alternative to prison.

The film The Imitation Game starring Benedict Cumberbatch tells this story and its made me fascinated about Turing's life ever since. 

I'm very lucky to be sent this book from the publisher and I'm so excited to begin reading it :-)




June 8th, 1954. Alan Turing, the visionary mathematician, is found dead at his home in sleepy Wilmslow, dispatched by a poisoned apple.

Taking the case, Detective Constable Leonard Corell quickly learns Turing is a convicted homosexual. Confident it's a suicide, he is nonetheless confounded by official secrecy over Turing's war record. What is more, Turing's sexuality appears to be causing alarm among the intelligence services- could he have been blackmailed by Soviet spies?

Stumbling across evidence of Turing's genius, and sensing an escape from a narrow life, Corell soon becomes captivated by Turing's brilliant and revolutionary work, and begins to dig deeper.

But in the paranoid, febrile atmosphere of the Cold War, loose cannons cannot be tolerated. As his innocent curiosity fast takes him far out of his depth, Corell realises he has much to learn about the dangers of forbidden knowledge.

For me I can't wait to get stuck into this book, I really hope I enjoy it!

What are you waiting to read? Tell me in the comments I'd love to know! Have a great day everyone :-)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38