01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

34

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare ~Goodreads~
Published by Walker Books 2008
Paperback 485 pages ~The Book Depository


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing- not even a smear of blood- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter, who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. 

Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...



I'm so shocked at myself for not reading this book sooner, still better late than never!

So base of the plot is that Clary finds out she's not who she thinks she is and meets creatures that she never thought existed on a night out at Pandemonium, a teen club with her best friend Simon who is in love with Clary! There she meets Jace who is witty, stuck up and just irresistible. From then on things kick off and the secrets pour out amongst werewolf and vampire fights and falling through portals. 

What I most enjoyed about City of Bones was the relationship between Clary and Shadowhunter, Jace. Both very witty and it bounced off of them throughout. I find Jace to be moody, cheeky and just a bit irresistible, along with that he carries a complex story of his own.

Clary I slightly warmed to, but I was a little bit annoyed at her when she seems oblivious to her best friend Simon being in love with her. It made me dislike her at first because she seemed like one of those gorgeous girls who pretends she's not, but despite this I like her. She has balls and not a damsel in distress! Simon I thought was brilliant, very funny and I hope he crops up in the next book!

A lot of lies, betrayal and shock revelations in this book, I'm glad there was a lot of different elements to it. With the mystical objects, and new supernatural creatures to keep it interesting. You have the vampires and werewolves too but I felt that creating different creatures gave this book a different edge to it, it was unique and I hope it stays that well.

Overall, I found this book to be a really enjoyable and a surprisingly fast read for me, normally with a 400+ page book I'm a little bit daunted by it but this seemed effortless! The characters as I said earlier were brilliant, but I have to confess the cliffhanger at the end that puts a spanner in the works didn't come as a surprise to me...sadly me being a bit of a silly- I already saw the spoilers on another bloggers review oops. Nonetheless I'm excited to carry on with the series with book two City of Ashes to find out what's going to happen next. There were a lot of loose strings at the end of this book and its caught hold of my imagination. Bring on City of Ashes!



Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38