01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

34

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott ~Goodreads~
Published by Vintage Children's Classics 2013
Paperback 432 pages ~The Book Depository~


"Rich or poor, we will keep together and be happy in one another.

Christmas won't be the same this year for Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy, as their father is away fighting in the Civil War and the family has fallen on hard times. But though they may be poor, life for the four March sisters is rich with colour, as they play games, put on wild theatricals, make new friends, argue, grapple with their vices, learn from their mistakes, nurse each other through sickness and disappointments, and get into all sorts of trouble."


I knew the story of 'Little Women' prior to reading the book from watching two versions of the film and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them both around Christmas time with my mum. Reading it though was a different experience that made me feel all warm and fuzzy, especially as I would read it with the fire going in the lounge with my blanket over me and a cup of hot chocolate at hand!

I know this book has a lot of mixed reviews these days and can be seen as no longer valued with this generation, as it has religious aspects, and a more traditional view on women being domestic goddesses. But what I think people need to realise is obviously the time period it was written, like classics such as Sense and Sensibility and others by Jane Austen women did have a more traditional role in society as being housewives. I disagree with these reviews, as I feel it teaches young girls the importance of what you have rather than what you need and if every girl read this book I feel that a lot of them would be enlightened and in a way reborn into their way of thinking. This book was high on my to-read list and reading it this time of the year made it all the more wonderful. With this edition of the book this is only volume 1, volume 2 'Good Wives', continues their story that is included in the film versions/ So I have yet to read volume 2, despite me knowing the end outcome!

Each of the little women, Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy you can see bits of yourself within their personality. The main character, Jo a strong willed aspiring writer and much of a tom-boy is by far the most relatable character for me. She makes you laugh and cringe throughout the book and her friendship with the boy next door Laurie is stupidly adorable, both alike, stubborn creative and adventurous they are a great double act when causing mischief. 

This book teaches a lot of lessons in life; to not let money cloud your vision- it isn't everything! We see the March family with financial difficulties, but despite this are no way selfish even with the emotional strain of having their father away fighting in the Civil War that is sadly relatable in today's society. The girls at times struggle with their own flaws but are good at heart and are simply human. Beth perhaps seen as the exception with her heart of gold and timidness can make a bigger impact on the rest of the world- which she surely does. 

As this edition of the story is only volume 1 I will continue my thoughts when I read volume 2, despite me knowing the ending to this beautifully written story. It is a long read and may seem slow at times but its just a simple reading that is perfect around Christmas time as it reminds you of what is important in life- family and friends!

This book may not appeal to many people today as its in an older English and has the religious aspects attached but I do think its a read that you should give a go, after all it is a classic and quite rightly so :-)


P/S- Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted much these past few days I've been working like a busy bee this week at work so I haven't had much time to keep up-to-date with this blog. Its Saturday night and I'm about to watch the Strictly Come Dancing final and I thought I would crack on with this review of Little Women, I hope you enjoyed reading. Cheerio and I'll be back soon! :-)


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38