01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Every Day by David Levithan 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Every Day by David Levithan

34

Every Day by David Levithan ~Goodreads~
Published by Electric Monkey
Paperback 384 pages ~The Book Depository~


There's never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It's all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with- day in, day out, day after day.


So I finished this book in a single day...I'm not sure I have ever done that before. That means that I really enjoyed this book right? I'm not sure enjoyed is the best word to describe my thoughts of this book.

Frustrating comes to mind. Frustrated because with every chapter you question as to how is "this" actually going to work, surely its got to work out, but how can it? It was an exhausting and desperate read to find a solution and yet it resulted in such hopelessness, and still I kept on reading on my travels to the Somerset countryside. Getting towards the end I was still uncertain of how this heart-wrenching story will come to a close. 

"A" is described as male or female who wakes up every day in a different body. To comprehend this is challenging, to see myself in that situation I'm not sure I could handle pretending to be someone new every day and not have one person to have as my own- just a temporary being. Despite knowing this, its all A is aware of I guess.

The complications of A's love for Rhiannon really brought out some strong emotions in me, like I said previously to not have someone for yourself who you can call your own was truly upsetting to witness A go through. A whirlwind romance I guess you can call it, trust being an important element but the unknown of who A was every day seemed somewhat impossible to get in a "routine" with. 

I think my one complaint with A would be that he/she wasn't selfish, I wanted a different outcome for A but if anything A represented how unhuman he/she was. A normal human would I think be more selfish with the decisions A faced, at times A's human side shone through but in the end to me he reflected a different behavior that was indeed sweet but an emotional tear-worthy outcome. 

I could nit pick at all the issues that this book brings up in moral decision making, I could discuss it for hours of how if I was A what I would have done in the situations and why.

A truly questioning and page-turner of a book that I fully recommend to anyone who loves questioning everyone and everything!


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38