01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: The Maze Runner by James Dashner 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

34

The Maze Runner by James Dashner ~Goodreads~
Published by Chicken House Ltd 2011
Paperback 384 pages ~The Book Depository~


So The Maze Runner is the first installment of James Dashner's young adult, post-apocalyptic science fiction trilogy.

The story centers around Thomas, who is brought into a place named the "Glade", and with no previous memories from his past life or outside world accept the knowledge of his name. Himself and around 50-60 other teenage boys inside the Glade call themselves "Gladers", and they have developed their own community to which each of them have their own job to do in order for the Glade to function. None of which know how they arrived in the Maze and why they're there in the first place, but one thing's for sure it isn't for their own benefits!

The Glade is surrounded by a giant iron Maze, where lurking in the shadows vicious, slug-like creatures with mechanical arms known as "Grievers" roam around at night. Doors to the Maze side open and close day and night to protect the Gladers from these creatures.

Every week, supplies are brought up from the "Box" into the Glade and once a month a new arrival comes up too. Only a day after Thomas' arrival, a girl is sent with a message claiming she is the "last one ever", not only is the message alarming but so is the fact that a girl has been brought up by the Box instead of a boy like normal. It is then that life in the Glade will never be the same for its inhabitants. 


Well, there's a little snippet of what The Maze Runner is about! In my honest opinion, from the first few pages I wasn't sure I was going to like it. It did remind me of other apocalyptic genre books and I couldn't help but compare it slightly. 

However! I find James Dashner an extremely gripping writer, I couldn't turn the pages quick enough to find out what was going to happen next. For me there were no "filler" chapters that the majority of books have, every single chapter of this book was just brilliant. Full of suspense, wonder, confusion and excitement! I know I don't often slate books and I may be biased with some of my reviews, but for me this is definitely one of my top books that I have read so far this year.

There are a range of characters in the book with different backgrounds, ethnicity, culture etc and it isn't hard to keep track of who's who! 

I think my favourite character from The Maze Runner has got to be Minho, who is head of the "Runners" in the Glade. Very witty, athletic and a somewhat arrogance that is likeable!  He does have his flaws of being a slight coward when it comes to being ambushed by the Grievers but so would I if I was to face one!

From James' great descriptive words and essence of suspense, I was often biting my nails whilst reading believing I was inside the book myself experiencing the wonders of the eerie maze. I urge you all to give this brilliant novel a go!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38