01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

34

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn ~Goodreads~
Published by Phoenix (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd) 2013
Paperback 496 pages ~The Book Depository~


It is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary, presents are being wrapped and reservations made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife Amy disappears. All fingers are pointed to Nick who isn't doing himself any favours with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but diary entries by Amy reveal the alpha girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Nick is oddly evasive, bitter but is he really a killer?


First of all a confession needs to be made on my behalf...this was the first crime thriller genre book that I've read. Sure other books I've read have had some aspect of crime in them but never have I read this particular genre out of choice.

With everyone urging me to read this book I decided that it wouldn't do me any harm to try it and boy am I glad I did- what a great book! I never though I would say this, I've always had the biased opinon of crime and thriller books just being about all the gore but no I was definitely wrong about this novel!

Gillian Flynn kept me guessing throughout the whole book as to whether Nick was the killer or not, its just so well written that you do feel that you shouldn't put it down. Every chapter ends on a cliffhanger and if you're a student like me or have other priorities (unfortunately) and you don't have the time to keep on reading, it really is a shame because all you want to do is relax in the bath with a drink in one hand and this book in the other

It's not just a mystery book in my opinion as such, its got a good element of comedy in there and I think that's what made it such an easy read for me, I need that hint of humour to keep me interested. 

Let's just say there are a number of surprises that keep you hooked. It makes you think are those you know are they who they say they are? Do they act the way they do with pretty much everyone?

Personally, Amy was my favourite character in the book. With the diary entries, Amy comes across as a scared, adoring woman who loves her husband unconditionally, but she also presents a sort of "feminist" figure who shows the reader that a woman can be smarter than a man. It opened up my eyes to how people can have two personalities, it made me wonder who around me has two personalities too! I guess she's just a "villain" that you can't help but love.

The book also captures insight into relationship values and how all couples are very unique and deal with different situations differently, if anything it opens up your eyes to all goings on that happen day to day. Maybe not with those you know but perhaps people close by.

Overall, just a huge WOW to Gillian Flynn for such a brilliant novel, I'm definitely going to pick up another crime/thriller genre book and most definitely another book by Gillian because her writing is just exquisite! I cannot emphasise that enough really.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38